The Workshop’s Agenda
Create your organization-specific UX Strategy Playbook in this activity-filled 1½-day workshop.
Sound good? Let’s dive into the details:
8am – 9am Registration & Breakfast
9am – 12:30pm Driving Your Organization’s Transformation
Start the journey to transforming into a design-infused organization.
- Identify effective plays that will broaden your UX team’s reach throughout your organization.
- Connect with your market’s current emphasis, whether on new features or better experiences.
- Ready your team to tackle big design challenges caused by the inevitable shifts in organization and market direction.
Move your organization beyond design thinking, to design doing.
- Deploy plays that educate the entire organization on good design and what it takes to get there.
- Connect the decisions of key influencers to their effects on customer experiences.
- Uncover your organization’s hidden UX champions, who don’t yet realize they can use your team’s skills and knowledge to achieve their key business objectives.
12:30pm – 1:30pm Lunch (provided by us)
1:30pm – 5:30pm Leading Product and Service Innovation
Integrating UX strategy into the product and service roadmap.
- Convert product strategy from building new features to solving critical customer problems.
- Build a research plan to identify critical UX expectations to satisfy market needs.
- Integrate pleasure, flow, and meaning into the product definition, to infuse delight into the overall delivery strategy.
Drive the vision that produces innovative, metric-driven products and services.
- Rally your organization behind a research-based UX vision, getting everyone moving in the same direction.
- Identify a plan of “baby steps” that delivers new value to customers through innovation.
- Assess delivery success with UX-driven metrics, using data science to identify the cost and scope of customer problems and their solutions.
8am – 9am Registration & Breakfast
9am – 1pm Readying Your Team to Tackle Bigger Design Challenges
Build up your dream team, capable of pushing UX to new levels within your organization.
- Assess the team’s skills against what’ll be required for current and future challenges.
- Build an internal skill training capability, that increases team proficiency.
- Recruit top talent to fill in the team’s skill gaps, using performance-based hiring to ensure every new hire is a perfect fit.
Develop a culture of continual learning, encouraging constant improvements everywhere.
- Use journey maps, critiques, and design studios to bring out everybody’s inherent design skills.
- Increase the skills of your non-designer influencers, focusing decisions on what’s best for the customers.
- Institute novel “cross pollination” programs to propagate design skills and resources across the entire organization.
Multiply your organization’s design competitiveness
Spread design awareness with better exposure to users
“We should’ve done this years ago” is the response when influential team members interact with your users for the first time. Create a comprehensive exposure program to demonstrate the priorities of your current user experience and give a context to an ideal aspirational experience.
Excite the troops with a future of great design
Your aspirational experience can serve as a flag in the sand on the horizon, showing everyone where to march. Different teams, with divergent goals, can move toward your vision of a great, unified design across your organization’s entire product and service offerings.
Build a culture where learning is the driver to success
When everyone can tell the difference between good designs and bad, they know why they need to call in the UX team to ensure their designs are the good ones. Increase the power to produce good designs by leading the entire organization to contribute effectively.
You’ll see how to:
- Identify the design maturity of your organization, to tailor your approach.
- Calculate your user frustration costs and how your UX team can return value.
- Infuse delight into your products, by adding pleasure, flow, and meaning.
- Measure UX improvements with metrics driven by business objectives.
- Assess the design capabilities of the team, filling gaps to handle challenges.
- Grow the design literacy and fluency of the entire organization.
Everything you need to tackle essential UX challenges
Dozens of UX strategy plays to use in your own playbook
No two organizations are alike. The maturity of the organization, market conditions, priorities, and other factors will drive which plays will have the greatest impact. You’ll know which plays will work now, and when you need to make critical changes.
Work more effectively with non-designers, stakeholders, and influencers
Your team isn’t an island in your organization. To create truly great user experiences, your team needs to work with others who also understand design. Identify the essential plays that will bring others into the loop and have them contribute equally about the design.
Work more strategically throughout your organization
Change how key decisions are made, by ensuring customer and user needs are at the center. Move your organization away from being a feature-production machine to solving important customer problems, shifting your position to a market leader in the process.
Create breakthrough product and service experiences
Build a team that looks at the user’s experience holistically, taking a broad end-to-end approach and focusing on the specific steps to innovation. Learn when to employ fast ideation plays, like Design Sprints, and when to use big picture plays, such as customer journey maps.
A working event where you’ll build a custom playbook
Get ready to roll up your sleeves. We’ve got work to do. We’ll look at where your organization is, what the market conditions are, what your team is capable of, and all the other factors that determine which plays will best suit your situation. You’ll work through a series of exercises that help you select the best course of action for where you’re at.
The workshop starts at your office
A couple weeks before you arrive, we’ll send you important assignments. You’ll conduct a survey to identify how mature your organization is and an assessment of your team’s skills. We’ll use that information to select the strategies. We’ll also have several entertaining videos for you to watch, to give you the necessary background for the workshop. With about 4 hours of preparation, you’ll be ready to hone in on the exact plays your organization needs.
Bring your senior team
A UX strategy is easiest when your entire senior team is on board. If you can bring them along, we’ll have special activities for you to discuss and explore what will work best in your organization. If you can’t, don’t worry. We’ll match you up with others in similar situations to bounce ideas off of and reflect on your optimal strategies.